Monday, October 15, 2012

The Woman in Black by, Susan Hill narrated by, Ralph Cosham


Since I didn't get a chance to read/listen to any scary books this October this is a review from one I read & listened to last year. I read it first then re-read it on audio, yes it's that good! I have also seen the play and the movie and really liked them all! So this is a review of both the book and the audio.

The Woman in Black by, Susan Hill narrated by Ralph Cosham


This was a good spooky ghost story not gory but psychologically suspenseful. Arthur Kripps is given the task of going through the papers of a woman he has never met her, but his firm is handling her affairs after her death. What Arthur finds in the town and house is something that will stay with him for the rest of his life.

This book was written very well with just the right amount of suspense and trepidation, as events happen to Arthur I found myself with butterflies in my stomach and was glad no one came up behind me while I was reading. I liked that the author made you feel the darkness, smell the marshes, and hear the sounds and that’s what’s great about this book it has great atmosphere and does a good job at pulling you in.

If you are a fan of Victorian ghost stories I highly recommend this book this will be a book I will recommend to anyone who likes ghost stories that are suspenseful without any blood & gore.

What can I say about Ralph Cosham that hasn't already been said his voice is just so perfect, he has the voice of a superb storyteller with perfect inflection and pacing when it is needed. I highly recommend this version from Blackstone Audio.

This was my first book by Susan Hill and after her descriptive writing in this book I will try others by her.

4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment