Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Orchardist by, Amanda Coplin narrated by, Mark Bramhall


The Orchardist by, Amanda Coplin narrated by, Mark Bramhall

This is a quiet book about flawed people, what your upbringing can turn you into and why even when given a fighting chance some people can’t get over what was done to them. This isn’t a great drama, or a thrill ride it is really just Talmadge’s story told in a sad way, rueful and regretful.

Talmadge is a quiet man working his orchards and still not over the disappearance of his sister years ago, when one day 2 young girls dirty, hungry and pregnant have wandered onto his property looking for food. The girls Jane & Della & Talmadge finally come to tentative understanding that he will leave them food and he will not try to touch them or talk to them. When the girls go into labor only one baby lives; Angeline, who becomes a huge part of Talmadge’s life, but there is a man looking for these girls and the events of that day will haunt all their lives forever.

This is not a happy story but there is something about it that grabs at your heart plus the imagery of the orchard and the time period is done so beautifully. I am finding it very hard to put into words the emotions this book evoked and honestly I’m not sure if it would have done the same without Mark Bramhall’s narration.

Mark Bramhall’s narration is pretty much a straight read, yet is compelling at the same time. I’ll be honest I don’t usually like straight reads I like variation of characters but Mark Bramhall has this voice that gets your attention with its calm  fluidity. I can’t image anyone else’s voice being as perfect for this book as his.

I think this is one of those books that will stay with me awhile and the sad people in it, yet this books is so beautiful , lyrical and flowing. What amazes me is this is a first novel I think Amanda Coplin will be an author to watch and I look forward to more from her!

4  Stars

3 comments:

  1. Great. How about linking in to Books You Loved: October? Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder linked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about this book....thanks for the great review.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete