Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Ramblers: A Novel By Aidan Donnelley Rowley Narrated By Erica Sullivan



The Ramblers: A Novel By Aidan Donnelley Rowley Narrated By Erica Sullivan

This was a new to me author and narrator although I liked the authors writing, this book just wasn't for me, I can't put my finger on it but I felt like this wasn't a modern story there was something old fashioned about the language and the interactions, it seemed every time a year was mentioned it jarred me, oh, right this is set in present day. Also the sexting and graphic sexual descriptions kind of took me out of the story because I liked the writing; the flow of it, then one of these scenes would come up and disrupt the flow.

This is one of those Lit. Fic. books that I just don’t really get, this was just kind of a day in life book or a couple days in a life of three people, Clio is an anxiety prone woman whose mother killed herself and was manic all Clio’s life and it still affects her today, my problem with Clio is at some point in life you need to stop blaming your parents for all your problems, then we have Smith who is a rich girl recently heartbroken and quite jealous of her little sisters happiness ( she does finally get over that somewhat), then we have Tate who they say went to Yale with the other two but now Smith and Tate have just started dating. But I feel like Henry should have gotten better billing in the book description he is Clio’s boyfriend and is a pretty great guy who accepts Clio even with her anxiety attacks and somewhat manic behavior, I think he was my favorite character in this book.

Erica Sullivan’s narration was well done she didn’t try too hard for the male voices, and Henry’s slight Irish accent was good and all the characters were well defined and it was easy to differentiate. I would listen to this narrator again.

I am honestly not sure what the point of the story was or what I was supposed to get out of it.

So for me this book was just meh, however I would try something else by this author just because I liked the flow of her writing even though I didn’t get the story.

2 ½ Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment