I am really not trying to be contrary or snarky with this post I am just asking some questions that have come to my mind while listening to the titles up for the Audie Awards.
After listening to two categories of Audies Award nominees, I can’t help wondering what it is the APA looks for in a nominated audiobook. I feel like if a book is going to be up for an Audie Award the narration should Wow me, it should completely blow me away, but what I’ve found in many of the nominated titles is just your normal narration, they are good yes, but there are many out there that are good… so I have some questions for the APA:
- What sets this one title above the others?
- What was it about this title that warranted being nominated?
- Is it all about the money? Does everyone pay the same amount to have a title up for consideration? If not, do people who pay more get more consideration?
How does the APA decide what books will be up for Audiobook of the Year?
· Is it from listening to it and thinking this is the best narration I heard this year (to me that is what it should be).
· Is it about sales totals?
· A celebrity name (This is the one I believe it is this year)
· Is it how much money the publisher paid?
· Or I am missing a key component?
I guess I expect a nominated book, no matter what kind of award it’s nominated for, must Wow me (Yes with a capital W). Since these awards are about narration this is what I would look for in nominating a book for an Audie award:
· I want the narrator to bring me completely and wholly into the book they are reading.
· I want the narrator to have perfect (at least too my ear) accents.
· I want complete differentiations between every character.
· I want tone and cadence to follow throughout the book.
· And as I have said I want to be WOWED…If it is a new to me narrator I want the narration to make me go and add everything they have ever narrated onto my wishlist, because they blew me away, if it is a known to me narrator I want it to reaffirm their place as a favorite.
These are the things I would look for if the nominations were up to me. What would you look for?