Saturday, January 28, 2012

Audiobook Review:The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley narrated by, Nicola Barber


The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley narrated by, Nicola Barber
I do so enjoy Susanna Kearsley’s writing it flows so beautifully from one century to the next; her characters are so fully fleshed out and believable. This is a great time travel book with a wonderful story in both times.

Eva comes to a place of her childhood to recover from losing her sister but soon after arriving odd things start to happen, at first she thinks she’s hallucinating, and then losing her mind, but then realization strikes that she is actually traveling through time. In the past she meets Daniel Butler, smuggler and rebel, the times she ends up in are full of danger and treachery but there is one shining light and that is Daniel Butler. The romance aspect was sweet with both Eva & Daniel still recovering from a loss and both slowly heal as they come together. I think Fergal (*sp audio) was my favorite character other than Eva he was so kind and witty. The twist at the end I didn’t see coming and actually rewound back to listen again it was so good!

If you like time travel, historical fiction with a nice splash of romance, or a fan of Daphne DuMaurier or Diana Gabaldon I highly recommend this book and this author. I have become a huge fan of Susanna Kearsley and plan on reading everything she has ever written!

Audio production: Nicola Barber was the narrator and I didn’t really like her attempt at accents I think it would have been better if she just stuck to the accent (guessing her real voice) she used when narrating the in between people talking. Since I had already listened to The Winter Sea I couldn’t help wishing Roslyn Landor had narrated this one too because she did such a great job with the accents in that one. It wasn’t awful and I still enjoyed the book very much but there were times the narration just wasn’t right. And I’m not saying I would never listen to this narrator again as long as she’s not doing accents especially an American accent.

4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment